Stephanie's bra fitting

Photo courtesy Emma at Nylon Nostalgia
This time we are going to hear from Stephanie about her bra fitting at Marks & Spencer's here in the UK



I will let Stephanie take the story from here: 

I have just returned home from my bra fitting at M&S and I have to say the whole experience was just lovely and definitely ranks (if I was scoring) as one of the most positive experiences I’ve had as a crossdresser, even though I attended in male mode!


My appointment was at 9:30am and I arrived at the store at 9:25 and after wandering through menswear (which now feels so alien even when I’m in drab!) I headed for the lingerie department and the fitting rooms. When I arrived there wasn’t anyone around at first though I could hear voices in the background then after a very short wait a member of staff appeared, saw me waiting and came over, and asked if she could help me?  I had told myself before I arrived to relax and try to be as “normal” as possible, so I came straight out and said that I was a Crossdresser and I was there for a bra fitting at 9:30 and gave her my name. She gave me such a lovely big welcoming smile and went off to check the diary, when she returned she asked me a couple of questions such as what did I want from the fitting? and was I, or had I had breast augmentation surgery?  She explained that she needed to check which dressing room was best to do the fitting because I was in Paul mode!  Anyway she decided, as it was quite quiet, if it was OK with me that we were to use the disabled both in the ladies fitting area.

Once in she asked what my femme name was and would it be OK if she could call me Stephanie whilst we were doing the fitting which of course I said yes to, I also mentioned that I could show her a photo of Stephanie later? which she said she would definitely like to see. We then had a chat about my bra size and the type of bra that I currently wore. I then told her that I had brought a bra and my forms “just in case” which she was really pleased to hear.


Next was the measuring, I took off my tee-shirt and she measured my chest to check the band size which she confirmed was 40” Yay! At least I had that bit right then she had me put on my bra and pop in my forms which she sweetly referred to as my “ladies”  she checked the fit and made an adjustment to the back butting it in the middle position and then adjusted the straps which she explained was to stop the gaping at the shoulder, when she was happy with the fit she actually congratulated me on having the correct size Bra she then noted that the bra was a full cup style and suggested that a better fit would be a plunge style bra as it’s better suited to the male form and therefore is a much better fit.  She then popped out in search of a suitable 40B plunge bra for me to try, she returned shortly with a pretty lilac padded lace plunge bra which I gladly put on, she again adjusted the straps and when she was happy explained the difference between the two styles whilst having me raise and lower my arms to show me how the bra shouldn’t move etc. I have to say it fitted me perfectly and was very comfortable, She then suggested I put my Tee-shirt back on to see how it looked and it looked really good, she also mentioned that she felt that a B cup was a perfect fit for my frame which I agreed with as I wouldn’t want to go any bigger.


That was the end of the fitting (but there was more to come), I met her in the lingerie department and we had a chat about crossdressing in general, I also asked her about using the ladies changing rooms if I was dressed, she said there was absolutely no problem in doing so but I should mention that I’m a Crossdresser just so they know! which obviously seems fair to me.  She then asked if she could see a photo of Stephanie so I showed her a photo of me, the one of me in my casual outfit of jeans, green top and trainers, after she gave a wow! She said “I’m sure I’ve seen you in here before?” And I said I had been in the store a week ago so it was likely. 

She then mentioned that they have a Trans woman working in the store and that she wanted to introduce me to her which was very sweet of her, so after saying goodbye to the other lovely ladies working in the lingerie department off we went in search of this lovely woman we found her quite quickly (ironically she works in menswear) and we were introduced. She was lovely and very keen to chat, after a few minutes we exchanged phone numbers and she has suggested we meet up one day for a drink and a chat which sounds lovely.


So that’s pretty much the end of my experience at M&S this morning. Now I hear you asking about what lovely bras did I buy whilst I was there.  to which I have to say I didn’t buy any BUT, there is a reason why,  they had asked If I could visit her and the team (they are all lovely) as Stephanie 😊 so I’ve promised her that I will return as Stephanie next week to say hi and shop for a few NEW (plunge) bra’s.


Wow! Today certainly exceeded all my expectations.  🥰

Roll on next week 😊

When I returned home I was so taken by the whole experience, As i wanted to compliment both the staff and the company I decided to go to the top and write a letter to Stuart Machin the Marks and Spencer CEO. I received a fabulous reply form Amy Collings, part of the Executive Team which I found very reassuring and welcoming not only for me but all members of the trans community.

Stephanie at home


Part 2 (the following week)

This is a continuation of my Bra Fitting experience at Marks and Spencer last week. Today I returned specifically to thank the lovely lady who did my bra fitting, for her kind, compassionate and understanding manner throughout my fitting. I also wanted to introduce her to Stephanie.

So, my trip back to M&S was brilliant!  Before I went in search of this lovely lady I stopped of at a nearby florist (M&S🙄) to buy her some thank you flowers.  Then off I went to the lingerie department where I found her just finishing with a customer. I have to say, her face lit up like a preverbal Christmas tree when she saw me, which was really lovely. The first thing she said was to thank me for the fabulous email I had sent to the Head Office. She was told of it early Monday and then received a copy of my original email along with a letter of commendation and the company and the Camberley store have been singing her praises ever since then, she did mention that she cried when she read my email and has also heard that a colleague in HQ (Helen) who dealt with my email was also moved to tears.

Whilst she was finishing up with her customer I had a lovely chat with her supervisor she was saying that my email had caused quite a stir in the branch and it’s been topic of the week so far, and also mentioned that the head of Diversity and Inclusion had emailed her today thanking her and her team and asking more about the assistant that carried out the fitting and how she had dealt with me etc. 

So the email that I threw into the M&S pond on Friday has generated some quite sizeable ripples and all for the right reasons, Marks and Spencer (Camberley) are doing really well regards Diversity and Inclusion but appear to want to mirror this company wide.

I take my wig off to good old M&S.

Even though I still didn’t buy any new bras, M & S are definitely barking up the right tree when it comes to working with trans customers and what’s more encouraging, is that they want to improve on this further.  

Another lovely thing is that the girls in the Lingerie department are hoping to start is a sort of Trans wall of fame by the fitting room by having photos of Trans ladies that have been in for a bra fitting, they is is very serious about this and wants the Camberley store to lead the way........



Thank you so much Stephanie for sharing your story, I am sure it will encourage many to be more open and relaxed in situations like this. I would also like to say a thank you to M&S for having such a wonderful supportive attitude.


Comments

  1. What a great post Andrea and so nice to hear that Stephanie had such a positive experience at the M&S store.

    I think it was a really nice thing to do sending an email to the top and it was nice to read that they shared your positive experience with their staff and their Diversity and Inclusion Team were notified.

    I did a similar thing when I went to hair salon for the first ever and asked for a feminine hairstyle. I emailed the salon owner to say thanks to him and his staff for making my visit a positive experience and I received a really nice reply from him.

    Thanks for sharing.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Charlotte, I think it is a really good idea to send a message of thanks when things go right, many are quick enough to complain when things go wrong, which is quite right of course, but few manage to show their appreciation when things go right. The fact that on this occasion the feedback was shared with the staff and the subsequent action by the Diversity and Inclusion team is really positive. thanking the shop assistant concerned personally was a nice touch by Stephanie...............

      Delete
  2. Just wow 🌟 What a beautiful experience and story. Reading the effect of great feedback to the staff is truly inspiring. Well done M&S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynn, I agree 'Well done M&S!'

      Delete
    2. Hopefully you've spotted your 15 minutes of fame over on T Central. I hope that's okay!

      https://t-central.blogspot.com/2022/10/stephanies-bra-fitting.html

      Delete
    3. I most certainly did spot it Lynn, thank you! It seems everyone likes this post! Oh and I certainly don't mind........

      Delete
  3. Too many people write to complain but few are moved to write to praise someone, so that was nicely done. And what a brilliant response from M&S. What a lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susie, it is nice to give praise when it is due and to receive a brilliant response from M&S is just fantastic!

      Delete
  4. Blimey!!! What a wonderful story! And so pleased that your praise had such a hugely positive effect! Well done all round to all involved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joanna, I think Stephanie took exactly the right approach in thanking M&S HQ but also personally thanking the lady concerned.

      Delete
  5. I came here from T-Central as this post came as recommended as M&S's bra service! What a lovely experience to read about. I've heard good things about M&S fitters over the years and this helps boost confidence in them by the trans community.
    I think it so important to thank employees who've gone above and beyond their normal duties and clearly this has had an effect. So often service providers just deal with grumbles and complaints so a thank you can make a big difference to the staff. Positivity in the workplace and all that!
    Sue x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue, I absolutely agree we should thank people for good service and just as importantly tell the senior officers of the company how good their staff really are!

      Delete
  6. Dear Andrea, This surely is a wonderful story. I love it. Franzi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Franzi, it is a fabulous story and is a story that deserves to be told............xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A wedding

Being Visible